Saturday, February 12, 2011

I have the attention span of a hyperactive chihuaha on crack. Squirrel!

I always set goals and start projects which I soon neglect.  Then a few months later I tell myself I need to get back into (insert goal here).  When I first got to Afghanistan about 2 months ago, I made a resolution to learn Farsi.  I have this audio language course I started listening to on the trip to and from work, which was all good for about 2 weeks, and then I got bored.  That's about the most time I can devote to any one interest or project before either getting bored or moving on to another project.  I swear, I have the attention span of a – hey, look a squirrel!

He knows what I'm talking about
What was I talking about?  Oh, yeah, setting goals and getting distracted.  It's a lot easier to do something when I have to do it, like school or work or if it's part of a routine.  Another resolution I made was to work out regularly.  I've been able to keep that one because I go to the gym almost every day, right after I get off of work. 

Back in the States, I almost never went to the gym on the weekends, because I couldn't force my lazy butt to get off the couch or computer and drive the 3 miles to the gym.  But I work every day here, so I don't have to fight much with my own willpower.  It's gotten to be a routine, and I fully expect to have a beach body by the time I return to the States

YAAGHHHH!  Gahtta pahmp it AHP!
When I was a kid, my mother tried to get my sister and I to play the piano.  It was quite the conundrum, as music wasn't allowed in the house (I guess the early 90s was all NWA or something and my mother thought music was a bad influence).  Since I had nothing to base my interest on, my skills as a pianist never really took off.  But now I kind of wish I had that ability.  I hear all these songs with piano riffs in them, and I really want to reproduce them, so I promised myself that once I get back home, I'm going to buy a keyboard and start re-learning the piano.  Of course, that will probably last for all of 2 weeks as well, before it's relegated to the garage in the active position of dust collector.

Only to be found by this squirrel, who will get better at it than I ever will
My inability to catch onto certain things doesn't help much either.  I've tried to get into physical activities like dancing, but either I'm the clumsiest person on Earth or I just completely lack the ability to pick up something new if it's not in my muscle memory.  I roller bladed as a kid, so when I tried ice skating as an adult, I picked it up in a matter of minutes. 

I tried skiing and snowboarding last year, both once, and after a day of crashes and falls, I can say with complete certainty that they're not for me.  People told me I just needed practice, but it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere after 6 straight hours, and I really didn't want to fall on my face again.  However, that doesn't preclude me from all winter sports.  Give me a sled with some kind of control mechanism (like brakes), and I'll take that thing down a black diamond.


I don't know how to end this post, so here's another picture of a squirrel.

Hello, ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment