Friday, January 21, 2011

Uhh... first post?

How should I write this thing?  I'm very new to blogging, so I'm not sure how to begin.  I guess the object of any blog is to offer something of interest to its readers.

OK, let's start at the beginning.  I first realized I had a knack for writing a few weeks ago when I was sending letters back to my family and friends from my deployment. 

Wait, I guess that needs some backstory as well, doesn't it?  I'm in the Air Force and currently deployed to Afghanistan.  There.  Now back to the future.

People liked the emails, which was surprising, as my last writing endeavor that got any notice ended in total failure.  In the second grade, our teacher made us write a paper on what we did over the Christmas break.  I literally did nothing, as we lived in a semi-rough area of Queens, NY, and my mother was so over-protective that I had no friends outside of school hours, nor was I allowed to leave the house except to go to school.  I also lacked social skills (more on my dismal childhood later). 

I wasn't sure where to begin on this paper, so I took my teacher on a step by step account of my day.  "On Monday I woke up, brushed my teeth, ate breakfast, read some books, ate lunch, played Monopoly, ate dinner, brushed my teeth and went to bed.  On Tuesday, I woke up, brushed my teeth..."  Et cetera, ad nauseum.  When the paper was returned, it had soul-crushing red ink all across the top: "This is the most boring and repetitive essay I have ever read."  Oh well, at least I was a superlative in some way, right?

Naturally, this has haunted me for a long time and never thought anyone would want to read my thoughts on anything.  So it came as kind of a surprise when people gave me positive feedback on my emails.  The idea to publish my thoughts on the internet for all to see came from a hilarious blog entitled "Hyperbole and a Half" which you can read here.  The author shares much of the same wit and wry humor as I do, (though I don't know if I'll ever be able to match her readership or creativity) and some of the same disorders (she has ADHD).  I thought starting a blog was a fantastic idea, and here we are.

My goal is to make it interesting enough to appeal to the masses and keep my readers coming back, but not too interesting in any way that could be used against me in court or other situations where people may question my ability to carry something out.  Not that I'm particularly drawn to the dark side or illicit activities, but the written word tends to stay on the internet forever, and if I ever try to run for office (haha, yeah right) or something like that, and there's something less than flattering written about myself or anything that could be taken out of context and applied in such a way that makes it sound like I have a bias against a certain group of individuals (*ahem* Germans *ahem*) it would not turn out well for my aspirations.

Well, I guess that's it for now.  How was that for a first post?

No comments:

Post a Comment