Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!

I'd completely forgotten that yesterday was Valentine's day.  I noticed it was February 14th, but that held no significance.  Working 12 hours a day every day, the days tend to run into each other.  I was only reminded by the happy/sad facebook statuses (and a few well wishers) populating my feed when I got back to my room.

I hope you lovebirds all had a memorable day, and if you're single, I hope you celebrated Singles Awareness Day in style.
Like this guy
I also hope you all didn't buy into the corporate brainwashing and get an excessive amount of roses for your special lady.  Romantic gestures are all well and good, but some people (*cough* flower companies *cough*) take it too far.  I was watching CNN, and apparently certain numbers mean certain things when it comes to flower arrangements.  365 roses, I found out, means "I can't stop thinking about you, each and every day") and 999 roses symbolizes everlasting and eternal love.  A dozen roses are fine, but get into the triple digits, and that's just overkill.

Flowers are the worst symbol of love.  Love is supposed to be eternal.  Flowers are temporary.  They die within a few days.  Is that what you want to tell your significant other?  "Our love is vibrant and alive now, but give it a few days, maybe a week tops and it'll be dead."  Screw that.


Take the ridiculous amount of money you were going to spend on the stupid flowers and use it to buy her something a bit more substantial, like some make up, or a cruise or something like that. 

One Valentine's Day, I got my (now ex) wife a potted tulip, some make up from Sephora, some lingerie from Victoria's Secret and a box of chocolates.  And still spent (slightly) less than the $100 some florists charge for a dozen roses.  The tulips lasted a whole 3 weeks, and grew back again the next year.

Of course, by next V-day we were no longer married, so take any relationship advice I give you with a grain of salt.

1 comment:

  1. Who did you talk into waxing a heart on your back? Really though, ew.

    ReplyDelete