Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Localized morality

It occurred to me today, that I am a victim of - and feel free to come up with a better name for it - localized morality.  Something that no one cares about in one place or culture, but makes people go bonkers in another.  I mean like seriously crazy.  The kind of mad that turns one into an enormous bag of douche towards one's fellow man, causing them great misery.


Let's get some background.  I've been in the Air Force for the better part of a decade, and recently came back to learn a second language at the language school I attended right after basic training all those years ago, in [location redacted].  The issue here is that you're forbidden from hanging out with non-prior service students (i.e., people straight out of basic training), like, the same people with whom you spend 7 hours a day in class, and I ended up doing just that.  Which ended up getting me demoted, lost me a bunch of money and will pretty much kill my military career.  Possibly my entire future if they decide to give me a bad conduct discharge.  There's other stuff going on that I'm not going to talk about here, because it's still under investigation (yes, seriously), but suffice it to say that if it weren't a training base, I wouldn't be in this much trouble.  As a disclaimer, I was wrong and a dumbass, and if I could go back and change it, I would. But that's not the point in question.  Back to the point.


Did you know it's illegal to own and consume chewing-gum in Singapore?  No, seriously.  The natives believe the Aspartame causes mental diseases, like left-handedness.  As punishment, the police beat you with a bamboo cane and then pour fire ants on your wounds for 48 hours.  Or something.  Whatever, research isn't really my strong suit.  And before giving me another one of those incredulous looks you're so fond of, consider the fact that things like eating a McRib with your left hand, which I'm sure we've all done in moments of confusion, can give someone amoebic dysentery in a Muslim country.  Or have them put a fatwa on your descendants.  Or something.  


Jeez, relax, it's not even real pork.

Anyway, the point is; does anyone know if such a term (the one in the title) exists?

No comments:

Post a Comment