Saturday, August 20, 2016

Anecdotes about my mother

I don't know if this will be a regular thing, but every now and again a funny (less in the funny sense, more in the interesting) memory of my mother comes up, more so now as she nears the end of her life.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Germany visiting her, and one of the many things we talked about is the US presidential election.  She's always been a staunch conservative; self-reliance and all that.  Though we were pretty poor growing up (we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 kids), my parents refused to go on welfare, seeing it as a cheat to the system.  Anyway, another thing I distinctly remember growing up was her distaste for Donald Trump.  For roughly the same reasons as mine today: he's sleazy, he made his money by cheating investors, not paying his debts (strict conservative no-no), etc.

Let's be honest.  Donald Trump is hardly a Republican, but many of my conservative friends who previously disliked him now support him merely because of his current role.  I was curious to see if she would too.

When I asked her, she said she hoped Trump would win.  I was surprised, until she went on to say that America needed a wake up call, and Trump would be the one to crash the country fast enough so people would wake up.  If Hillary is elected, we'd continue on our gradual slide, but that would take too long.

Yup, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment